Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
The place to discuss all things IT and Internet related. Computers, Devices, Phones, Storage, Hardware and Software, Browsers, Connections, Proxy Servers, Security, Troubleshooting and more.

TOPIC: Blurry screen after Windows 10 update

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 29 Oct 2016 21:04 #1

• Grolongo
Im not sure if this is the right place but have to ask anyways

So bought this new desktop a few weeks ago . Was very happy with the way my machine was working . That was until I had to update my Windows 10 after that the trouble started . It hurts to watch the screen for a longer time because of the crappy images shown on my comp

Does anyone know how to fix this issue ?

I have already found a possible solution but dont know how it implements the steps needed . Its like Im reading Chinese :dunno:

If someone could help to decode the message below, it could mean a lot to me

Hi guys,

After updating to Windows 10, I found that text is blurry in many apps if I set 125% DPI. In Windows 8.1 there was a setting called “Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays” which made non high DPI aware apps to ignore higher scaling and display in 100% scaling mode. In Windows 10 that option is gone an instead you get a blurry text if you set the slider to 125%.

I've found a solution :

Make a .cmd file with the following contents:

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f

Then just drop it in Autostart or create a Task which starts at each logon, because it reverts back after restart.

Source
www.reddit.com/r/(...)_125_dpi_in_windows/
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 01:35 #2

That's code for a batch file that gives a sequence of commands when you start Windows, which changes the DPI display size settings in the registry.

An easier solution until windows patches the problem might be to Right-click on the shortcut to your application, then select ''Properties''. Then tab ''Compatibility.'' Then ''enable Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'' and hit ''Apply''. then restart your application.

Or if you want to create a cmd batch file with the above code..

Launch Notepad, type in your commands in Notepad, save your file with a name of your choice BUT with an extension of .cmd.

Make sure that you save it as All Files.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2016 02:17 by Return of Zorro.
User(s) who Liked this post: user1146, Grolongo

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 12:01 #3

• Grolongo
^^ Before posting this thread I had already watched 20 to 30 youtube vids regarding this issue ( including the one you posted here)
But none of the solutions offered worked for me

After I have found the reddit thread I have tried to manually copy/paste the codes into .cdm
But only the first code was accepted
The other two just dident work for whatever reason

But if I understand it correctly you need to put those codes in a Notepad file

And forgive me for asking silly questions but what does this mean :

''Launch Notepad, type in your commands in Notepad, save your file with a name of your choice BUT with an extension of .cmd.''

Also you said : save your file with a name of your choice
Followed by : Make sure that you save it as All Files.

So witch one is it ?

Just to be safe I saved it as all Files

And now I just move the notepad fie into .cdm?

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 12:23 #4

Grolongo, this is one reason why I'm not using windows 10 as my main windows OS yet. New window's releases are notorious for requiring patches before they work properly.

Try a system restore or rolling back from your last update that caused the problems, then wait until windows releases a patch or update for the problem.

re the cmd file put cmd after the name of the file (File name) and save it as All files (file type).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. – Marcus Aurelius
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2016 13:51 by Return of Zorro.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 13:25 #5

• Grolongo
Uninstalling the updates seemed like a great idea
As I have plenty of experience of uninstalling programs but at the same time am clueless how to use .cdm
So I went back in time when the desktop worked properly
Uninstalled most of the updates( the system woudent allow me to remove all the updates, two of them where left standing)
Re stared the computer only to fiend out the removed files were again updating itself :mad:

Played with the idea to use recovery manager to restore the comp back to its original state
But this would only be a temp solution as within no time I could get the same files that caused me to have the blurry screen

This is so fucking tilting
Why do they offer updates to their customers if you would need to add patches in order for the product to work :iitm:

re the cmd file put cmd after the name of the file (File name) and save it as All files (file type).

Correct me if im wrong

REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v Win8DpiScaling /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v LogPixels /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000078 /f

So you add cdm in all these codes

The frist one would be : REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v DpiScalingVer /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00001018 /fcdm
Then you repeat the same for all of these codes
Ones your done you save it as '' All files ''

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 13:47 #6

Grolongo, first turn off automatic updates then roll back the last updates that caused the problem by doing a system restore. with auto updates off it shouldn't automatically reinstall the files.

Yes it looks like you have to copy all the code to a cmd file. Then you add cmd at the end, not at the end of every line. Then save the file as ALL files. put a full stop at the end of the pasted code, then a space before typing cmd. If that doesn't work then try cmd.exe.

Have you tried copying the code into command prompt, it might fix the problem temporarily, but you'll have to paste the code into command prompt every time you start up the computer.

The reason for creating the batch file or cmd file is to give the command to change the DPI display size settings in the registry every time you boot up the system.
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2016 13:50 by Return of Zorro.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 30 Oct 2016 23:03 #7

• Grolongo
I am tilting out of my mind

Spend 6 hours resetting the comp to its original state
It only made the problem much worse :larf:

After that I created the cdm file , but it into the task mamanger
Gave the command to use it each time I start the comp

It dident fix anything

Im so close to breaking someone's face right now
Last Edit: 30 Oct 2016 23:05 by Grolongo.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 00:24 #8

How come you can't just do a simple system restore? Should only take 10-15 mins or so.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 10:55 #9

• Grolongo
Started off with a soft reset
Dident do much
So I decided that I needed to take more drastic measures :roll:

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 11:39 #10

User(s) who Liked this post: Grolongo

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 16:11 #11

• Grolongo
Might be calm now but that was exactly how I felt yesterday :P ^ ^

I have a warranty of two years so decided to contact the acer support . The man told me that they would be happy to pick it up and repair it f needed
But he also said that the problem could be with my monitor . Dont have a backup so wasent able to check it

But I had to buy one of these things to connect my monitor to my desktop

Does this thing effect the quality of the pictures shown ?
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2016 20:24 by Grolongo.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 16:45 #12

I'm assuming you're not using a separate graphics card that already has an HDMI connection? It's unlikely changing the leads over from VGA to HDMI will solve the problem. Only one way to find out though.
Last Edit: 31 Oct 2016 16:48 by Return of Zorro.

Blurry screen after Windows 10 update 31 Oct 2016 21:01 #13

• Grolongo
Well , I just ordered a new monitor
Lets see what happens tomorrow

If the pic remains blurry we know for sure its the desktop needs a repair

Either way my blood pressure will drop to normal levels :chuckle: