Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Other than physical evil does evil exist ?

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 10:23 #1

• ric
  • Fresh Member
Other than a physical action or a deed that causes suffering to a individual how would you define evil?

Is having hate in your mind evil?
Only registered members can reply. Create an Account to join the discussion.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 10:30 #2

• novum
  • Platinum Member
An interesting topic, it perhaps touches on thought crime, or precrime if you will also.

Is something evil if you think it, or is it only evil if you carry those thoughts out for real.

And then, what is evil anyway, another question to ponder, what defines 'evil' , and is there even such a thing, or are people inherently good and bad and we all have both sides. (dualism)
I remember the good old days, when 90+ year olds in nursing homes lived forever. Darn this pesky virus.

1365 = 1

1.1365 = 1,283,305,580,313,352
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013 10:31 by novum.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 10:59 #3

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
I think having hate in your mind can lead to evil, but I also think people are more predisposed towards either good or evil. It's about choice as well, like, if you are born say in an occupied country, like if the country has been invaded, or two countries are at war with each other, I think people have no choice but to hate if you know what I mean. It's hard to open your heart to "the enemy" if they're dropping bombs on you, or imposing sanctions against you and your fellow countrymen.
It's always the civilians that suffer in all that. Imo, people have more in common, more similarities than divisions, I think there is more room for love and understanding than there is for hate.

I think we're all capable of evil, but it seems that some people veer more towards that. I think pure evil is fairly rare perhaps.
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013 11:00 by irrepressible.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 11:04 #4

• ric
  • Fresh Member
But without a external event taking place that's effects you or other's, isn't any thought's you have in a evil way just self destruction?

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 11:16 #5

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
ric wrote:
But without a external event taking place that's effects you or other's, isn't any thought's you have in a evil way just self destruction?

I think it depends what you do with the evil thoughts. Evil thoughts exist, and I think everyone who ever lived has thought them, but the problem is when people start acting on those thoughts or letting hate eat them up. That can only lead to self destruction. I think without external events like war mongering and mind control stuff, that there would be far less evil in the world, because I think that the vast majority of people would choose good over evil.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 11:21 #6

• KayDee
  • Fresh Member
I believe in evil but I do not think evil & hate are the same thing. Hate is a negative emotion...evil, on the other hand, isn't really an emotion...hmmm, not sure how I would classify evil, really.

I think someone can be evil without, say, inflicting violence...but I do think that an evil person will act out in evil ways even if it isn't a violent act. Lies, manipulation....that sort of thing. Whenever I read or watch something about "psychopathy"; they could just as easily call it "evil".

Having negative thoughts doesn't make a person evil...lack of empathy...enjoyment of evil deeds would make someone evil, IMO. Evil has no cure.

I'm rambling! Haha...sorry...good topic!
We are vain and we are blind. I hate people when they're not polite.
~Talking Heads
User(s) who Liked this post: irrepressible, ric, phemohilia

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 11:29 #7

• irrepressible
  • Voluntarily Inactive
If you had grown up in an environment that taught to hate "the enemy", like a neighbouring country, and you hated the people so much that it led to you killing one of them for no reason other than the hatred of them, is that an act of evil, an evil thing to do? I'm kind of confusing myself :emb:

I think pure evil is rare.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 12:07 #8

• username
I don't think you can say evil exists, I think most acts that could be described as evil have got other plausible explanations.

Some of the acts and thoughts described as evil can sort of be thought of as which side of the limit of altruism from another person/party you are. If you're on the beneficial side you don't think it's evil, if you're on the wrong side you think it's evil.

People go go round committing atrocious acts with 'good' on their side to people from other packs yet show great kindness to what they believe their own kind. They don't think they're evil as the thinking behind their actions are reinforced by their peers. Peoples response to 'evil' is also reinforced by their peers.

Some people don't care about their peers for whatever reason so have nothing to lose, there's no consequence to them being 'evil' to anyone. Although most people have a conscience even if they are a bit solo in life so will still show general altruism.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 13:14 #9

• ric
  • Fresh Member
The word evil has different meanings to most, but it's like the word love which happens in various levels.

I love my dog, or I love my mom, or I love god

One is a love of a animal , one is maybe the greatest love, and one is a invisible love, but it's not a tangible hands on thing, just a term or word used to describe a intense feeling.

So if evil is a word that's used to describe something my question is
if there's no physical act of something bad that happens to a person, place or thing,
perpetrated by someone or something or a act of nature how can one define evil? without a event or act of some type by something
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013 13:15 by ric.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 13:29 #10

• ric
  • Fresh Member
irrepressible wrote:
If you had grown up in an environment that taught to hate "the enemy", like a neighboring country, and you hated the people so much that it led to you killing one of them for no reason other than the hatred of them, is that an act of evil, an evil thing to do? I'm kind of confusing myself :emb:

That is a action of malice resulting from hatred,...................some define that as a evil act. but is it?

but a action created a result but if you just hated your enemy and never acted out, you could never be called evil by anyone, so evil doesn't exist without a action to define it ....Right?

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 14:18 #11

• KayDee
  • Fresh Member
ric wrote:
irrepressible wrote:
If you had grown up in an environment that taught to hate "the enemy", like a neighboring country, and you hated the people so much that it led to you killing one of them for no reason other than the hatred of them, is that an act of evil, an evil thing to do? I'm kind of confusing myself :emb:

That is a action of malice resulting from hatred,...................some define that as a evil act. but is it?

but a action created a result but if you just hated your enemy and never acted out, you could never be called evil by anyone, so evil doesn't exist without a action to define it ....Right?

Interesting point...but I believe(and it's just my opinion) that evil doesn't need action to exist. If someone was evil; they were that way before they acted on it. It wasn't like the pedophile was a good person before he molested a child; he was already evil before acting on it. Jefferey Dahmer was evil before he first tortured an animal...killed a human.

For me, the lack of empathy & compassion are indicative of evil. Not "feeling" for others is a sort of inaction. Are thoughts considered action? A person could delight in evil thoughts or take pleasure in the misery of others without physically "doing" anything. It would still be evil in my eyes.

To those who do not believe evil exists....you have probably never been in it's presence!
We are vain and we are blind. I hate people when they're not polite.
~Talking Heads
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013 14:19 by KayDee.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 15:15 #12

• ric
  • Fresh Member
KayDee wrote:
ric wrote:
irrepressible wrote:

Interesting point...but I believe(and it's just my opinion) that evil doesn't need action to exist. If someone was evil; they were that way before they acted on it. It wasn't like the pedophile was a good person before he molested a child; he was already evil before acting on it. Jefferey Dahmer was evil before he first tortured an animal...killed a human.

For me, the lack of empathy & compassion are indicative of evil. Not "feeling" for others is a sort of inaction. Are thoughts considered action? A person could delight in evil thoughts or take pleasure in the misery of others without physically "doing" anything. It would still be evil in my eyes.

To those who do not believe evil exists....you have probably never been in it's presence![/quote]

That's what I would like you to define that type of evil, is it a sense, a feeling of dread, or what?

Demonic possession act's out if you believe it's not just seizures or a act, but if someone is just there and not doing anything what defines evil?, A feeling you get from them or what.....................

I have been experimenting with a thing I call NON reaction which is not good thought or bad just being without some impulsiveness we normally are driven by, one thing I see you save money lol

Basically you let the outside world determine you daily tasks, without you having a impulse craving or need, and I have observed how other people really are when you do this experiment, you see their nature more clearly. The good and bad traits they have when your able to put your self gratification or impulses on the back burning and see where the world takes you naturally
Last Edit: 23 Apr 2013 15:19 by ric.

Other than physical evil does evil exist ? 23 Apr 2013 20:29 #13

• username
ric wrote:
if there's no physical act of something bad that happens to a person, place or thing, [/b] perpetrated by someone or something or a act of nature how can one define evil? without a event or act of some type by something

Sorry, i didn't read properly before then answered the wrong question. But my answer would sort of be the same - I think that evil has a subjective definition and is probably used when people have trouble defining something in their heads.

Can it be defined when no action has taken place? I don't think so. People are considered evil by others but only through their actions and words. i suppose people are born with a screw loose or learn some weird reward mechanism when they are young but I would still find it hard to define them as evil when there is probably a more exact definition for them. However it's a good word to get your point across.

So having evil or hateful thoughts in your mind doesn't make someone evil I don't think. Depends if someone succumbs to them. You hear about some cases too where people who do have thoughts about harming other people are pro active in trying to get help to stop it. i know it doesn't happen a lot but would you call those people evil? they have the bad thoughts, find it hard to control them and try and do something about it.